Part I: Which Omega-3 is Right for Me?
Welcome to Webber Wednesday, with Part I of how to choose the right omega-3 products for you from Webber Naturals' expert, Dr. Stephanie Rubino.
Essential fatty acids, in particular omega-3 fatty acids are being increasingly promoted as important dietary components for health and disease prevention. Why are essential fats so important? Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are a group of fats that are required by the body for proper growth and function throughout life. EFAs cannot be made by the body, so they must be consumed in the diet.
Unfortunately, many of us do not get enough EFAs that support heart and brain health, circulation and even joint mobility. So we need to either eat more foods with omega 3s such as fish, flax oil, chia and hemp seeds, or choose a high quality supplement.
Webber Naturals provides an extensive line of essential fatty acid products. However, it can become overwhelming trying to choose the best product. The first step is to determine why you are using the omega-3 fatty acid, as this will help to determine the dosage you require and which products are most suitable for you. Research has demonstrated a variety of benefits for omega-3 fatty acids for children, cardiovascular support, cognitive function and inflammation, during pregnancy, and others. Don’t forget to always check with your health care provider to determine if a product is safe and suitable for you.
Pregnancy, Nursing Women, Fetuses & Infants:
- Benefits of Omega-3: Prevents early labor, and reduces the risk of gestational diabetes, preeclampsia and post-partum depression. For fetuses and infants, helps develop a fully functional nervous system, including a healthy brain, and healthy eyes and visual acuity, reduces the risk of allergies in at-risk infants, increases birth size and weight, increases IQ and ability to solve problems, and promotes good coordination and motor skills.
- Dosage Recommendation during Pregnancy and Nursing:minimum of 300mg DHA per day
- Product(s) Recommendation for use during Pregnancy and Nursing:
- Dosage Recommendationfor Infants:minimum 300 mg of EPA and DHA per day
Product(s) Recommendation for Infants:
- Lemon Meringue Liquid Omega-3, Plus Vitamin A and 1000 IU Vitamin D (EPA 300 mg, DHA 400 mg)
- Liquid Omega–3, Super Concentrate with Vitamins A & D (EPA 980 mg, DHA 545 mg)
Visit us again next Wednesday for Part II of Dr. Stephanie Rubino's tips on how to choose the best omega-3 products for Toddlers & School-Age Children!