Sleep Solutions from our Experts
Besides making you super cranky, sleep deprivation can lead to obesity, hypertension, cardiovascular problems and diabetes. Insufficient sleep is linked to increased risk of motor vehicle accidents and other safety issues at home and on the job.
Here is a collection of some popular ways to improve sleep, collected by our natural health experts:
- Avoid caffeine, carbs and exercise after 8pm.
- One hour before bed, take L-Theanine, melatonin or 5-HTP (Melatonin Plus contains all three)
- Don't watch high octane action flicks just before bed; or wait until the weekend to check out a new action movie, like the new Bourne Legacy!
- If anxious thoughts keep you awake, take a B complex such as B-Calm and sip chamomile tea.
- Taking medications? Talk to your doctor - pharmaceuticals of many kinds can cause sleeplessness. Try a lower dosage or take them early in the day.
- Fretfulness can be reduced by increasing B vitamin intake, early in the day, and some people find sublingual (under the tongue) B12 supplements improve sleep.
- Cover your eyes. Light in the bedroom can interfere with quality and depth of sleep.
- Earplugs, the soft industrial type, allow you to hear the alarm or the baby but can cut out annoying environmental noises that prevent deep sleep.
Got a tip to add to our list? Share it with us in the comment box!