When you have kids, snacks are a paramount part of the day. They provide the opportunity to take a break, refuel the body, and learn about nutrition. With more fresh, local produce available throughout the summer, there’s no better time for kids to reconnect with healthy snacking.
Once you try these five healthy, kid-friendly summer snacks, you’ll want to put them on constant rotation:
1. Frozen Fruit Skewers
This is a snack that is both nutritious and cooling – perfect for those hot summer afternoons!
- Alternate a variety of fresh fruit chunks, such as bananas, strawberries, watermelon, and grapes onto small skewers.
- Dress them up with a sprinkling of shredded coconut, a dip into yogurt, or a dusting of cocoa powder before freezing.
2. Banana and Squash Smoothie
For the kids’ sake, let’s just call this a “summer smoothie” (what they don’t know won’t hurt them).
Blend the following until smooth:
- ¾ cup cooked yellow squash
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
3. Colourful Hummus
No list of summer snacks is complete without hummus for dipping fresh and crunchy vegetables like bell peppers, snap peas, and cucumbers into! By spiking it with basil, roasted red pepper, or beet root, you’ll increase its nutritional value and fun factor.
Try this tasty trio of green, orange, and purple:
- Green: blend 1/3 cup of fresh basil leaves into 2 cups of hummus.
- Orange: blend ½ cup of roasted red peppers into 2 cups of hummus.
- Purple: blend ½ cup of cooked beet root into 2 cups of hummus.
4. Fruit & Veggie Popsicles
These summer popsicles are a favourite of kids for their taste, and of parents for their simplicity!
Freeze a fresh puree of compatible fruits and veggies into popsicle molds. Great combinations include:
- Spinach, banana, and pineapple
- Strawberry and beet (steamed)
- Carrot (steamed) and mango
- Cucumber (peeled) and watermelon
Air-popped popcorn is filling, inexpensive, and full of fibre. Add a light spray of coconut oil before sprinkling with creative, summery toppings, such as:
- Lime zest, coconut, and sea salt
- Garlic and fresh chopped basil
- Sun dried tomato and oregano (use olive oil instead of coconut)
- Seaweed and sesame seeds