Who says treats cannot be healthy and delicious?
All the chocolate fans raise your hands! WOW, that’s a lot of hands! Well, you don’t need to feel guilty about indulging in these bite-size brownies! This recipe uses applesauce to add moisture without any unwanted fat.
At only 81 calories per serving, you can stick to your plan and indulge from time to time.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 oz (56 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) seedless raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts
- 24 walnut halves
- In a glass bowl, melt butter and chocolate in the microwave, stirring once, until melted and smooth, about one minute. Stir in applesauce, jam, and sugar until well blended.
- Lightly beat egg with egg white and vanilla. Stir into chocolate mixture.
- Gently stir in flour and walnuts.
- Use light cooking spray to grease mini muffin pan. Spoon batter into pan filling to top. Top each brownie with one walnut half.
- Bake in 350º F (180º C) oven until a tester comes out clean, about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Let cool in pan five minutes; transfer to rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
Makes 24 pieces.
Nutritional information per serving:
- Calories: 81
- Protein: 1 g
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturates: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 9 mg
- Carbohydrate: 13 g
- Fibre: 1 g
- Sodium: 14 mg
Recipe provided courtesy of the California Walnut Commission.